– Is this just you
showing me his music videos? ‘Cause that’s gonna be a great day .
– Ah, this is a bop too. Bassline.
– ♪ …of you with someone… ♪ ♪ (industrial intro) ♪ – ♪ I warned myself ♪
– I don’t know this person. Or wait!
The voice sounds so familiar! – Oh, is that Charlie Puth?
– Oh. I love Charlie Puth. – He looks so different. – ♪ …that I’ll do it one more time ♪
♪ Don’t trust in myself, mmm ♪ – So far, I’m really liking this.
– Is this just you showing me his music videos?
‘Cause that’s gonna be a great day. – ♪ You messed with my heart ♪ ♪ Now you’re the reason… ♪
– I haven’t heard this one, but I love Charlie Puth, so….
– ♪ …remember when you told me I don’t have to worry? ♪
– I LOVE his voice. Any Charlie Puth song, I love.
– ♪ He’ll be okay without me ♪ – His voice is sexy.
– I really love the beat in this song. It’s really good.
– ♪ I shoulda known that was a lie ♪ ♪ I warned myself ♪
– Yo, I’m gonna say this like 20 times, but he is so [bleep] good
and underrated. – ♪ Do you remember when you said ♪
♪ Do not tell… ♪ – He always has
the gnarliest guitarist or just melodies in the back. – ♪ ‘Cause if ya do,
I’ll be the first to put my hands around your thr– ♪
(gags) – Oh my god. (chuckles)
– ♪ I’ll be the first to put my hands around your thr– ♪
(gags) – (chuckles) What?
– ♪ Why is no one s’posed to know? ♪ ♪ I shoulda known that was a lie ♪
– I’m into the visuals of this video. – This is such
a crazy video. (chuckles) – ♪ …warned myself, warned myself ♪
♪ That I shouldn’t play with fire ♪ – Mm. He reminds me
of a young Justin Timberlake. – I wish I could pull off
shaving my head like that. I cannot.
– ♪ Don’t trust in myself, mmm ♪ – ♪ No good for my health, mmm ♪ ♪ You messed with my heart ♪
– He’s got the little angsty bad boy movie.
I like it. (laughs) He’s so good.
I love all of his music. – I like Charlie Puth.
I like his lyrics. He’s very good at writing.
he’s very good at describing everything in relationships.
He’s very good at it. – (FBE) So, we’re gonna show you more
in just a second, but that was Charlie Puth’s latest single,
“I Warned Myself.” – Yes! He’s so good.
– I like that he’s coming out with more music too.
You know, ’cause he started just– at least for me, just hearing him
on other people’s tracks and then to hear him get his own music
and his own style, he’s just– he’s really talented,
so I’m so happy for him. – (FBE) So, Charlie’s actually been
one of the more requested artists for us to cover for a while now.
So, we’re gonna show you a medley of some of his past hits now.
– Love it. – ♪ You and me can make it anywhere ♪
– Dang, he looks so young. – This was one of his first,
first hits, huh? – ♪ ‘Cause you know
I just wanna see you smile ♪ – This is a cute song.
– This is a romantic, pop-ish guy. – Here it goes.
(sings along) ♪ I’m only one call away ♪ – ♪ Only one call away ♪ ♪ I’ll be there to save the day ♪
– ♪ (humming along) ♪ – Feel it.
– ♪ …save the day ♪ – We love a good guy
that saves the day. – This is clearly an older song,
and you can tell the style’s a little different from
the first track we listened to. – ♪ We don’t talk anymore ♪
– Ooh. This my song. – ♪ We don’t talk anymore ♪
– Oh. I forgot about this song! I really like this one!
– Ohhh. He did this song?! – ♪ …we used to do ♪
– Yo, I stan him so [bleep] hard. – ♪ What was all of it for? ♪
♪ Ooh ♪ – This dude is a lover. (laughs)
Like, every song about a girl. – ♪ I wanna know what kind of dress ♪ – (sings along) ♪ You’re
wearing tonight ♪ He’s definitely an influence
of mine as an artist. – This is so cute.
– He’s a little cutie. – (Selena) ♪ I overdosed ♪
♪ Should’ve known… ♪ – Who’s that?
Selena Gomez? – I love the guitar in this too.
Just listen to his voice. – ♪ It’s such a shame ♪
– (both) ♪ That we don’t talk anymore ♪
– His songs are really relatable. – (both) ♪ We don’t talk anymore ♪
♪ Like we… ♪ – Ah, this song is just so good.
– ♪ You just want attention ♪ – Yes. Ah. I love this song too.
– Oh, this is a bop too. Bassline.
– ♪ …with someone new ♪ ♪ Yeah, you just want… ♪
– This makes me wanna play some bass right now.
– ♪ I knew from the start ♪ – Yeah, this guitar, like…
(blows raspberry) – He looks so different.
– ♪ Ohh ♪ ♪ I know that dress is karma ♪
♪ Dress is karma ♪ ♪ Perfume regret, yeah ♪
♪ You got me thinking ’bout when you were mine ♪
– Mm. Love it. – Ah, I love him. I love him.
I’m fangirling. – ♪ …what you expect? ♪
♪ But you’re not coming home with me tonight ♪
– Again, he just kills it with a high note.
– I [bleep] love this video so much! – Ooh. (snaps)
I’m telling you, he’s like a young Justin Timberlake.
Justin Timberlake did those same kind of moves.
– ♪ Was it real or just for show? ♪ – Wow. Suave. – Oooh! I think this one
has to be my favorite. – ♪ How long has this been… ♪
– ♪ (humming along) ♪ (sings along) ♪ Going on ♪
– ♪ You’ve been creepin’ ’round on me ♪
♪ Why are you calling me baby? ♪ – I like that sound.
There we go. That’s cool. – He has a cool sound to him,
’cause it doesn’t sound like a manufactured pop.
– ♪ I won’t beg for your love ♪ – I’ve never heard this song,
but I’m just vibing. – This is one of my favorites.
The colors, vintage style. – ♪ I won’t fall to the ground ♪
– (sings along) ♪ On my knees ♪ Mmm.
♪ You know I’ve given this everything, baby ♪
– I love his yellow shoes. – ♪ Honestly ♪
– I love this video. – (Kehlani) ♪ I never cheated ♪
– The queen has arrived. – Is this Kehlani?!
I totally forgot she was in this! Ooh, yes! I love this collab.
– (Kehlani) ♪ I can’t apologize for something that I didn’t do, no ♪
– Dang, he’s had some hits. – ♪ …lied for you, baby ♪
– This is a good dance song. – ♪ …cried for you, baby ♪
♪ But tell me what you’ve done for me ♪
– Okay, cool, cool. Yeah, you can see
there’s been an evolution to his music from the beginning
kind of hit. – (squeals) I love this!
I love his music. He has this specific sound,
and it’s like his formula. It’s like his style.
– He’s very much a solid musician and a solid artist, and I would–
I don’t know this for a fact, but I would bet that he plays
a large role in producing his own music,
and you can tell, because it feels very much
like his hand is the biggest hand in the pot.
– The lyrics and the beat is great and the visuals
and the artist. He has that whole package.
That’s why I love him so much. He’s just that good.
– (FBE) So, before we talk more about Charlie, we wanted to
show you some videos from early on in his career when he would
actually upload acoustic covers to his YouTube channel.
– Oh! Was he a YouTube singer? I didn’t know that.
– I’m excited. – ♪ Like ooh ♪
– He’s a baby! – Oh my god! He’s wearing a beanie?
– ♪ Too young, too dumb… ♪ – Aw, he’s covering Bruno Mars.
– Ooh, that’s so good. It’s hard to nail
a Bruno Mars song too. – You can tell he’s always had
the little music bug, you know? Talented.
– ♪ Should’ve gave you all my hours ♪
– Wow. – ♪ When I… ♪
– (sings along) ♪ Had the chance ♪ He’s good, man.
– ♪ Take you to every party, ’cause all you wanted
to do was dance ♪ – Wow, beautiful.
– ♪ …all you wanted to do was dance ♪
– Ooh. We know his voice has always been good.
– ♪ …dancing with another man ♪ – Wow. Even without
all the crazy equipment, he’s great.
– ♪ I’m gonna swing ♪ – Ooh.
– ♪ From the chandelier ♪ ♪ From the chandelier ♪
– Wow. Sia is shook. – ♪ From the chandelier ♪
– Those are hard notes to hit. – ♪ …gonna live
like tomorrow doesn’t exist ♪ – Wow.
– ♪ Like it doesn’t exist ♪ – That high note.
– ♪ I’m gonna fly ♪ – Autotune who?
– ♪ I’m gonna fly like a… ♪ – (sings along) ♪ Bird in the night ♪
So good. – ♪ …tears as they dry ♪
♪ I’m… ♪ – Go off, Charlie!
– ♪ …from the chandelier ♪ ♪ From the chandelier ♪
– That just sounds so good. I was like listening to an angel sing
or something. That was… That was so good.
Thank you, guys. – You can hear his musicianship
throughout his actual music, so it doesn’t surprise me
that his covers kick ass, where it’s just him and a piano.
He’s also an awesome piano player. – (FBE) When did you first hear
about Charlie Puth? – I feel like if I’m correct,
it was a Wiz Khalifa song. It was that one
“See You Again” song, right? That was a song that I think
anybody can relate to. I think it was the first
billion views on YouTube. – “See You Again” was when
I first really discovered him just because of how big
the Fast and the Furious movies were. – “See You Again” with
the Fast and Furious movie. Then I got into “Attention”
and then I got into “Voicenotes.” And then, now I’m like
a pretty big fan of Charlie. – When he did that collab with Selena,
and they put, you know, “We Don’t Talk Anymore.”
I started to look him up, and I started listening
to his music, and I just really– he became one of my favorite artists.
I love him. – (FBE) So, after teasing
this song’s release on his social media
and again on a YouTube livestream, he officially released it
to his YouTube channel, giving it a YouTube premiere as well
that was viewed by thousands and thousands of people.
Clearly, Puth has been very involved in social media and the YouTube space
since the beginning of his career and is still utilizing
the platforms today. For you, as a college kid
who grew up mostly during this digital age, how important is
being YouTube and social media savvy to getting ahead in this industry?
– It’s super important. I mean, first of all, if you have the talent,
let alone you’re gonna get discovered regardless, but YouTube
is just a straight shot. Justin Bieber was the first artist,
I feel like, that really skyrocketed. – You have a greater chance
of growing an audience if you do it yourself first, you know?
As opposed to, you know, previously, there would be bands or artists
that would have to perform at solo shows and get popularity
by word of mouth. – Social media like Instagram
and Twitter and all of that, I really don’t like to think
that that defines you as a talent or artist,
because you’re like, “Oh, I only have 10,000 followers.
Yeah, I’m not that good of an artist.” – When you go to
these big record labels, they’re looking at your numbers.
There’s a million people with an amazing voice.
What’s separating you is, like, “Oh, you already have
a built-in fan base.” You understand how to interact
with people and how to separate yourself from, like,
quote, unquote, “the competition.” That’s what they’re looking for. – (FBE) Not only does Charlie Puth
write some of his music, but he also writes for a lot
of big artists as well, such as Katy Perry,
Trey Songz, and Maroon 5. – Wow. Katy Perry’s a legend.
Good for him. – Well, you know what I just realized?
He’s definitely been saving all the good stuff
for himself. – (FBE) So, for people your age,
do you think that it’s important that an artist is the songwriter
as well as the performer of a song or is it less about
that authentic voice and more just about
how good the music is? – Yeah, I think it just depends
what you’re looking for in music. It is really beautiful
to think, oh, an artist can write this themselves,
and it’s coming from them, and it means that to them.
And I think if you want a more personal connection,
it’s better. But if you just wanna listen to music
than it doesn’t matter. – All I care about is like,
“Oh, this music is good.” But I know a lot of people are like,
“Oh, well, they’re a better artist, because they wrote it too.”
People like to have to top everything and be like, “They’re the best,
because they write, they produce,” they this and that.
So, it definitely adds more to your resume if you have
the ability to do these things, so I think it’s great
that he could write for other people. – He has his brand
and he has his sound, right? And while I’m sure he loves
making that kind of music, as an artist, you’re always
trying to and wanting to make different-sounding stuff, right?
So, he’s like, “I’m gonna write this song.
I like the way it sounds. I really vibe with it.
But this– you know what? This isn’t really
a Charlie Puth song, so maybe this is for Maroon 5.
Maybe this is for Katy Perry.” – (FBE) So finally, Charlie Puth
announced that this single, the first one that you heard today
is the first of three to come. So, after listening to that first one,
are you excited about the next two? – Yes. I’m super excited.
I have to download all of them. – Yeah.
– Yeah. I’m excited to see what the other ones sound like.
– Yeah, I’ll look forward to the other two. Definitely.
– Very excited, ’cause what does he do?
He makes bops! (ding)
– Yes. I’m ready. I’m excited. – I’m gonna check it out.
This song is pretty good. – Definitely. I’m gonna probably
go home and listen to the one I just heard again
just so I can really absorb it. – Yeah. He’s just got such
a distinct vibe that I haven’t heard in another male artist, you know,
from this generation. So, it’s– yeah, I love
new music, and I’m excited. – Thanks for watching this episode
of College Kids React. – Shoutout to Katherine F.
– Subscribe and hit that bell, so you don’t miss an episode.
– Thanks for watching. Bye! – Hey, it’s Sierra,
producer here at FBE. Thanks so much for watching
this episode of College Kids React. If you like Charlie Puth’s music
and you wanna see more, you should check out the links
down in the description below. Bye, guys.