– Oh my god! I love this song. – ♪ I’m all for you ♪
– I don’t– I just don’t get what his message is. ♪ (industrial intro) ♪ – ♪ I got knots all up… ♪
– I’m not sure what this is. – What is this video? – No [bleep] way!
– I went to 88Rising! Oh my god!
I love Joji! – Oh! This is Joji.
(laughs) Hell yeah! – This song’s so good.
– ♪ Will your tongue still remember the taste of my lips? ♪
– Oh. He’s one of those guys that’s trying to be edgy and cool.
– My heart! I’m shaking!
I love this song! – ♪ My lips, my lips, my lips♪
– Ahh! My little sad boy! – I’m so confused. – My heart is literally
going like this, cause I– oh my god.
I love him so much. – (sighs) I love his visuals.
I’ve seen all his music videos, and they’re always so pretty. – And the music videos
are super artistic, and I could see
kind of his inspiration in some of the Filthy Frank videos. – Don’t know what that is,
but I really am intrigued. – I’ve loved everything
this [bleep] guy did. – He’s Filthy Frank,
but he doesn’t like being called Filthy Frank.
Don’t call him Filthy Frank. This is Joji,
my sad boy. – He’s my sad boy music playlist.
It’s, like, when I wanna sit in a dark room and just think
about all the people who hurt me, put on some Joji. – ♪ I’ma [bleep] up my life ♪
– Oh my god. – What are you doing?
– Okay, the visuals have caught my attention for sure. – ♪ She don’t care if I die ♪ – (sings along) ♪ Yeah right,
yeah right ♪ (sighs) So [bleep] good. – ♪ I bet you won’t cry ♪
– Oh my god. That’s so much ass. – ♪ Yeah, I bet you won’t cry ♪
– He just seems really artistic. – ♪ But you know, I don’t mind ♪
– I love this. – I’m not really into
this type of music, but… I know a lot of people are.
– ♪ Yeah right, yeah right ♪ ♪ Yeah, you bet I know
that she ain’t ♪ ♪ Never give a single [bleep]
about me ♪ – Can’t he just be happy for once? – (chuckles) I love
the stupid music video. – I love that song.
I love that song so much, minus the butts.
– I hope he doesn’t make it big. (chuckles) I don’t wanna
hear any more from him. – You’re not giving me any emotion,
so I’m like, “I don’t care,” you know? If I feel like you don’t care,
why am I gonna care? – The sounds and the visual
remind me of Troye Sivan and Lana Del Rey had a baby together
or a music baby. It’s super raw,
but very chill. – ♪ Last night ♪
– Oh, okay! And this is the song he did with the 88Rising boys. – ♪ You were [bleep] up ♪
♪ I was wasted ♪ – It’s just this collective,
this group of just Asian artists that are really pushing hard
to get themselves out there. – ♪ [Bleep] the ru-u-u-ules ♪
– That’s nicer. I can like that. – Oh, this is good.
This is really good. – ♪ Fuck the ru-u-u-ules ♪
– ♪ (hums along) ♪ – At least it shows
people having fun. – It just– I don’t–
I’m not into it. – ♪ Make it make sense ♪
♪ Make it make sense, I ♪ ♪ Can’t hide a heart… ♪
– All his videos, they don’t seem so highly produced. It kind of has
that YouTube style vibe. – ♪ Been a minute since I heard
you wanna stay as friends ♪ – Oh. That’s Rich Brian. – That’s a big doughnut.
They’re at Universal! – ♪ You say, Let’s see where it goes ♪
♪ But I don’t really wanna wait ♪ – They’re all very catchy tunes to me,
and I really like it. – I feel like it’s just a bunch
of random clips that they put together that don’t really
actually mean anything. – ♪ [Bleep] the ru-u-u-ules ♪
– ♪ (hums along) ♪ It’s so cute.
This is a really good summer song. That’s exactly what
it was intended for. – I like it better when he sings.
He looks like he’s actually trying. – This guy’s just depressed
all the time. Try a different emotion.
– It seems like all these videos are just people
that are either really– don’t have a lot of clothes on
or they’re drinking alcohol. They’re talking
about how sad they are. I don’t personally
feel connected to it. – I actually worked with 88Rising.
That’s why I know about them. (laughs) It’s the first Asian-American,
like, record label. – We haven’t seen a lot
of Asian representation in music and film.
And now, we’re seeing things like “Crazy Rich Asians.”
We’re seeing things like 88Rising really blowing up and showing
this all star cast of Asian artists that are really [bleep] killing it. – ♪ I don’t want a friend ♪
– “Slow Dancing in the Dark”! Ahh! – ♪ (hums along) ♪
– This is real sad boy [bleep]. – See, this isn’t
my style of music! (giggles) – He looks like
he just got mugged at prom. – ♪ Don’t follow me ♪
– It’s just the same thing over and over again.
– ♪ You done made up your mind ♪ ♪ I don’t need no more signs ♪
– I don’t know. I like his style. It’s just very weird videos. – I forgot this part.
He’s like half a centaur. – ♪ Give me reasons
we should be complete ♪ – (sings along) ♪ You
should be with him, I can’t compete ♪
Oh my god! I love this song! – ♪ …like I was someone else ♪
♪ Oh well ♪ ♪ Can’t you see? ♪
– I have to say, the visuals carry the music for me.
– It’s– every single one, it’s, like, the exact same.
It’s just this guy singing about alone he is,
how [bleep] up his life is, how depressed he is.
– ♪ In the dark ♪ – Like, get some therapy.
He needs therapy. (chuckles) – ♪ Dark ♪
– Oh my god! – You see, so sad.
But it’s okay. It’s art, you know? – Half the time, in his music videos,
I don’t know if it’s super deep or if (chuckles) he was just like,
“I don’t know. Let’s just be weird.” – He was previously
super creative on YouTube and doing this really raunchy,
really dark style of comedy. Even though he’s separated
or put a pause on that character, he’s still using his crazy imagination
to create videos like this. ♪ (upbeat music) ♪
– Oh, I just saw this one! “Can’t Get Over You.” – Okay, this is more fun.
I like this. – ♪ And before I die I pray that ♪ ♪ I could be the one ♪ – Look at how cute he is!
He’s so pure! – Isn’t it catchy?
Come on, guys. – ♪ If I can’t have you ♪
– (sings along) ♪ No one can (voice distorts) ♪
– Uh-oh. – It was going so well. No! – ♪ Balance in the limelight ♪
– Oh! He did that for real. – It’s ’cause the girl rejected him,
so now he’s a badass with face tattoos.
– ♪ …more curves like ♪ ♪ But I want you ♪
♪ And all right ♪ – He better not. Ohh!
– ♪ Tell me more… ♪ – It just seems like
it’s trying really hard to be super abstract.
– ♪ Tell me more… ♪ – You see, it’s nice
when things feel homemade and indie like this,
because then it reminds you that music artists
can literally come from anywhere. – ♪ Don’t know you ♪
♪ Why would I fall in love with you? ♪ ♪ I don’t have no social cues ♪
♪ I’m all for you ♪ – I don’t– I just don’t get
what his message is. – I don’t feel anything for this.
And it’s okay people do, but I don’t. – He’s definitely versatile
with his visuals, because this was pretty different
from the rest of the stuff. I definitely am gonna listen
to this person again. – I really enjoy lyrics. And if lyrics get me,
they can be very simple. He has the package that,
for me, is an artist. – (FBE) So, those videos all came
from artist George Miller, who goes by stage name Joji.
– Joji! Hell yeah. – It’s not my cup of tea,
but it’s interesting. – For me, visuals and sound
go hand in hand, and this guy is doing
just fine at both. – (FBE) Joji actually started
on YouTube as a creator, uploading various videos
that were bizarre and comedic. – Really?! I do not see that at all.
– (FBE) His singles are known for typically getting millions
of views on YouTube within the day that they release.
– Yeah, he has a very strong fan base. I like metaphors. I like when a video
makes me have to pause and rewatch, because it’s like
an art piece, you know? Everything has meaning.
For some people, it might be like, “Oh my gosh, it’s so much blood!
Oh my god. This is so dramatic.” But I’m a very dramatic person.
– His music is very chill. It’s something that I can listen to
all the time and not get tired of it. I love him. I’ll always love him.
He has a good place in my heart. – (FBE) What do you think
about the fact that Joji gave up on
an already-established career to go in this entirely new direction?
– I mean, I think it was smart, honestly, because he already knew
he had a fan base. And he was like, “You know what?
I’m now gonna do what I actually wanna do
and what I like.” So, I can respect that.
– Everybody does not need a career in music, okay?
This isn’t Disney Channel. Like, if you’re good at something,
stick with it. – You don’t just give up on something
that you’ve spent years building up. He had to think long and hard,
and he made that choice to switch over to
a more professional music career. And I think it works,
and I love it. – He was kinda over the YouTube thing
and wanted to move into this music stuff.
And I think it was the right move, because then those fans
from his YouTube channel ended up following him
into his music career. And then from there,
because his music’s SO GOOD, you get new fans.
– Even as a YouTube creator, he created music.
It was kind of more comedic music, but he created music that was
really enjoyable to listen to. So, to see that transition
from using the music for his funny videos
and transferring over to making– I don’t wanna say serious music,
because that’s something he talks about. He’s like,
“What the [bleep] is serious music? Music is music,” you know? But to see this style of music
is really awesome. – (FBE) When Joji
started breaking away from his YouTube personality
and creating more serious music, he wanted to keep it private
from his fan base, since they primarily wanted
to see his comedic side. In 2015, Joji released two songs,
“you suck charlie” and “thom” under an alias.
– Ohhh, what?! – (FBE) But it quickly leaked
that Joji was the artist behind them, and he felt he needed
to come forward with his new project. – Oh, okay. So that’s what it was.
I remember reading an article a while ago about how that happened.
– (FBE) So, do you think that artists are always generally perceived
the same way that they always were? Or are they able to change
that perspective over time? – I think, generally, they’re known
for how they start off. But if they work really hard,
then they can change. Look at Miley Cyrus.
Everybody got really angry when she wasn’t
a little Disney princess, and she started twerking.
But now everyone says, “Okay, that’s just how she is.” – You’re always gonna see
Miley Cyrus as Hannah Montana, but, you know, people grow up,
and people change over time. And I think it’s up to people
to either accept that or let them be stuck
in their own ways of thinking. – You can definitely change
the perception that people have of you over time. I don’t think it’s always
under your control, because you can’t always control
how everyone’s gonna perceive you. – Social media now, it’s very easy
to kinda create these characters and then split away from them,
because, in the end, George Miller wasn’t Filthy Frank.
Filthy Frank was a character, you know? And so,
he could easily say, “Okay, this is a character
I’m gonna put on pause, and I’m now gonna jump in
and make my music.” – (FBE) So finally,
Joji recently announced that his debut album, “BALLADS 1,”
will be released on October 26th. So, after hearing a little bit more
about him, listening to some of the music,
are you gonna check it out? – (chuckles) I probably
won’t listen to it, but I’m not saying
that he won’t make a song that I’ll eventually like.
– Absolutely. I’m waiting for it. – Heck yeah, brethren! – No, I would not spend money
on this music. – I’ve been here this long.
I’m gonna keep going. (chuckles) – You guys should all go
and get Joji on pre-order, because, guys, you will not regret it. – I might not
just ’cause it’s not my– it’s not the music
I generally listen to. – I liked it a lot.
The visuals, the sound, and I– Now, that you talked about him,
I’m kind of curious, so, for sure, yeah.
– “BALLADS 1,” October 26th! Pre-ordered, baby!
I’m getting the hoodie and the vinyl! That’s how prepared I am. (bell dinging)
(applause) – Thanks for watching another episode
of College Kids React. – Subscribe and hit the bell
if you wanna see more. And shoutout to marie.
– Let us know in the comments who we should react to next.
And shoutout to Anh Tran. – Bye!
– Hey, guys. Ethan here from FBE. Listen, if you liked this episode
and wanna check out more from Joji, be sure to subscribe
to the 88Rising channel. You can click on the link
right over there. Bye, guys!